Friday, October 25, 2013

Some Orlando One Name Study Housekeeping!

For some time, I have been very frustrated on the structure of my Orlando One Name Study.

The reason for the frustration was that the overseas data, (material pertaining to venues outside of the UK) had grown almost of out of control, as archives and various indexes make things available online.In effect, the study had grown faster, with wider search mechanisms that I would have liked. My preference would have been for a slower gathering of data.

In a perfect world, I would have set the structure on extracting the date from my homeland - the UK before moving on to other Countries. Orlando is an Italian name, so immediately there is an overseas element. Added complications is that the most common occurrences of the name outside of Italy are in the United States. So from the start the overseas element was fairly high profile.

The study currently contains a wealth of information, but I was unhappy with the structure. There was nothing wrong with the structure, just simply I didn't like it! I therefore set about making some decisions.

  1. Creation and structure of a master index
  2. Creation of a newsletter
  3. Making the material available online
  4. This blog was not going to allow me to put the data online in the format that I wanted which made the necessity for a web page more pressing
  5. Getting to grips with the DNA project
  6. Encouraging growth on the Facebook group
Current Status
  • The website is now set up and data is slowly being added with the added facilities of
    • Google Drive - for the storage of audio clips and spreadsheets
  • A newsletter has now been published with the next edition due in January 2014
  • This blog is now linked from the website and will continue to share data 
  • The DNA project is up and running and I need to get my head around the whole process
    • Maurice Gleeson of the Guild of One Name Studies has produced some videos - YouTube
  • The Facebook group is up and running - now with a vanity address
There will be a gradual process of information sorting, indexing and preparing for website access over the coming months. It is all rather exciting and I am looking forward to getting cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment